Rachel Held Evans had an excellent post on ideas for Lent. My wife pointed it out to me, knowing full well that I also read Rachel’s blog…I think she wanted to make sure I didn’t miss it. Anyways, after I read it, it got me thinking about what my Lenten discipline for this year will be. Every year for Lent, I choose a discipline to take up. I feel that just sacrificing something for 40 days defeats the purpose. If you’re going to sacrifice something, give it up forever. That’s a sacrifice! That’s why I chose to take on something during Lent. The expectation is I maintain that discipline past the Lenten season.
Here’s a list of my Lenten disciplines for this year:
- Work on improving my overall health. This has many components to it.
- Exercise on a regular basis. (5 times a week, for at least 30 minutes)
- Eat healthier.
- Give up all soda and all sugary drinks such as lattes. (Note: I will not be giving up caffeine for Lent. I get very, very cranky when I don’t get some caffeine. I will be sticking to black coffee and tea. This is also not a Lenten sacrifice, but a means to an end. Hopefully I will maintain the sugar free lifestyle when it comes to drinks and only have a soda/latte on a rare occasion.)
- Spend at least 30 minutes a day in prayer. This can include doing Daily Prayer with my wife.
- Working through the Book of Faith Lenten Journey: Seven Wonders of the Word.
I will be adding a page dedicated to my Lenten disciplines and will be providing updates every Sunday here on the blog.